In a consortium led by Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC), Pythia International recently provided information technology support services to the Department of Defense Dependents Schools-Europe (DoDDS-E), which included Area Offices in two locations (Wiesbaden and Mainz-Kastel), five European District Superintendent Offices (Bavaria, Heidelberg, Isles, Kaiserslautern, and Mediterranean) and DoD schools located in Azores (Portugal), Bahrain, Belgium, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Turkey, and the United Kingdom. The project manages, directs and oversees all planning, management, support, and operations for all aspects of the DoDDS-E information technology domain.
Under the project, Technology Support Technicians (TSTs), provide end-user support at the schools, District Offices, and Area Office. Pythia international fielded a team of 58 TSTs (70% of the total TSTs called for in the project) deployed throughout Europe. Pythia International was responsible for all on-site desktop, laptop, software, and system peripheral diagnostics, troubleshooting, repair and configuration, as well as for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of the Campus networks and servers located at their respective schools or District Offices. Among the tasks assigned to Pythia were the following:
- Install and configure computers, software applications, and networking devices (e.g., routers, switches, hubs, and local servers), as well as network and server operating systems, unique applications and firmware upgrades.
- Perform network and systems maintenance to include, but not limited to, backups, data recovery, virus scanning, account monitoring and maintenance.
- Support the DoDDS-E email infrastructure, perform routine system and user account maintenance, manage user accounts and troubleshoot local problems.
- Provide enterprise management support utilizing the Altiris Suite of tools.
- Provide support for DoDDS-E specific enterprise applications to include installing, configuring, upgrading, troubleshooting and optimizing.
- Provide “hands-on” end-user training and support for all DoDDS-E hardware, software and applications.
Under an ID/IQ subcontract with CSC, Pythia International is currently providing Information Technology/Information Management support services to the joint NATO/U.S. DoD operated George C. Marshall Center for Security Studies (GCMC) in Garmisch, Germany. Pythia personnel provide Information Technology (IT), Information Management (IM), systems administration and web services in support of GCMC’s core mission of foster understanding of, and appropriate cooperation on, defense matters in the context of political democracy, human rights and freedoms, and free enterprise economy.
- Pythia provides web design and development and web programing services to the GCMC, while our web specialist supports the Marshall Center’s website by providing webmaster duties.
- Pythia’s HelpDesk support service specialists provide second-tier support to GCMC end-users for PC, server, mainframe applications, and hardware. The specialists interact with network services, software systems engineering, and/or applications development to restore service and/or identify and correct core problems. They often simulate or recreate user problems to resolve operating difficulties, and are called upon to recommend systems modifications.
- Pythia’s MCTS 70-680 Windows 7 certified technicians have also been engaged in installing and deploying Windows 7 on workstations located throughout the Marshall Center, and are providing advice on IT and Internet Security to GCMC staff. (All technicians are also Security+ certified.)